Playing computer games, especially those that are online, making it fun and sometimes lose track of time. However, are you aware if there is a danger that threatens the fun behind it?
Yes, there are currently a number of looming threats of cyber-gamers. Some popular ones include:
1. Phishing: The site featured a fake game play with a face that has a URL or page similarity with the original games. A gamer who is not vigilant not only potentially infected, but also could lose personal data which again may impact on the financial losses.
2. Social Networking: A lot of fake Facebook accounts and pages are outstanding and made to commit a crime. Worse yet, each stating that they are the original producer of games that are circulating on Facebook. To that end, never give or enter confidential personal data to these accounts.
3. Games that have been infected and pirated software: user or gamer potentially infected with a virus because it uses a fake computer game software or the crack. The game lovers are encouraged to be extra careful, especially against the shipment of e-mail attachments and removable media like USB flash disks.
4. Malware: These days, the malware that attack computers online gamers and the most widely spread is Win32/PSW.OnLineGames. Malware is still included a Trojan family that is normally used to perform phishing attacks and targeted specifically to online game players.
This malware usually comes up with keylogging and (sometimes) rootkit to gather information related to online games and the player's data. Information obtained will be sent to the computer attackers or criminals. Therefore, it is highly recommended for players in MMORPGs (Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Games) like Lineage and World of Warcraft to remain vigilant against potential threats that attack them.
"Losses experienced online gamers as malware infiltration Win32/PSW.OnLineGames usually in the form of online gaming is losing points," said Yudhi Strong (Technical Consultant, PT. Prosperita-ESET Indonesia) in his press statement.
For that, ESET gives five tips for gamers to be protected from malware:
* Use different passwords for multiple accounts and create passwords that difficult to guess.
* Please type in URLs or website you want online games directly in your browser or use bookmarks in your browser. That way, you will be protected from accidental clicking the link elements of online games from the search engines that have been infected.
* Protect data with a password protector, either on computer or in the cloud.
* Never use the software the crack because it could be a malicious software or malicious software.
* Always use antivirus updated regularly and computer security solutions featuring Antispyware and Firewall. ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 provides Gamer Mode feature that can perform automatically switching to silent mode to save resources so that the user can better enjoy the game without being distracted.
Based on survey results have been published by the Steam Survey Hardware & Software, ESET become the first choice of gamers for a paid antivirus category.